Rhein Composite Door, linkage failure. Morelo.

• On Friday my door would not open! The top lock would not release, I could hear the solenoid pulling but no release. I used the emergency release but as this is just kite string I do not want to use it too frequently! I took off the inner door liner and found that the linkage from the solenoid to the latch lever had broken.

The metal bar had fractured at the bend to the top of the solenoid. Clearly work hardened during its creation. Late Friday I got a picture over to Morelo and on Saturday I had an email response that the parts were being despatched. Then 30 minutes and an email from UPS advising delivery to the UK today. So I see its is on the road to me according to the UPS app as I write this email! One could not ask for better service other than the part not failing in the first place. So well done Morelo.

Has anyone had a similar failure and are there any tips you can give for refitting the linkage and the inner cover?

Michael

2019 Morelo Palace Liner 88LB SLO with slide out on MB chassis

• Hello Michael,

looking at the picture, it seems that the broken part is a mixture plaited steel wire and metal. I see a wide end on the top of the selenoid, a kind of hook (bended part) on thel lever of the locking. I would guess, that you need to pull the upper part out of the plastic bearing, as well as shte remains out of the bearing on the selenoid. I can only guess, not having seen the replacement part, that you would have to pitch the part through the bearing of the selenoid and then push into the bearing of the locking lever.

A picture of the part might help to understand the options.

Concerning the inner cover, have you removed it already? Or have you taken the picture through a smaller opening? If the latter, could you try to use telephone pliers to get the remains removed and the new part inserted?

Regards,

Ralf

Wenn man Morgens statt zur Arbeit direkt an´s Meer fährt, geht´s eigentlich....

Mit Frau und Hund unterwegs im N&B Flair 880 LE ...

• Hi Ralf,

Thank you for your response, I have progressed from my initial post with some success.

The new linkage arrived from Morelo, however it is an upgraded design which has some clear benifits in its operation. I dissasembled the linkage with ease and fitted the new parts here is the new linkage in situ.

You will notice that the solenoid pull is now on a centre line and no longer offset. Sorry I do not have an individual picture of the new linkage.
    As you can see the old style of the bottom lock is definitly strained.

I then tackled Morelo on the subject of the lower linkage and its likelyhood of failure. Their response was slow and I wanted to get the door reassembled if they confirmed it was OK. So I instead emailed the door manufacturer who came back instantly suggesting they had a bad batch of links but that failure was normally very early, nevertheless suggested that replacement with the new design was prudent. So he has kindly put one in the post. Then Morelo no more than an hour later responded with the same comment and despatched one. So I will have a spare. As soon as one arrives I will replace the bottom lock and linkage and put the door back together.

For those interested in the behind the scenes of their doors here area couple of pictures.

The inner panel is held by the swivel fixing bolt on the end of the ram at the top, 2 Torx behind the handle (aesthetic push fit covers) and 2 screws under the door pocket. There are also some velcro pads inside at random points, some of mine detached so I have refixed them and also will add some more foam strip to silence any rattles.

Michael

• Michael,

good to hear that Rhein-composite reacts so fast and that you are not on a campground. The new part looks much better and trusful, so I would have change the other one too.

This reminds me of my experience with TEGOS, when a sping in the door lock of our former Arto break during a trip. I had to spend a few days on a campground instead of travelling, but the next day, replacement part has been delivered and TEGOS experts were explaining the replacement very well.

You can imagine, I had a lot of spectators with good comments....it was a brandnew RV.

And two years later, spring broke again, TEGOS sent the spare part over night, a reinforced version. So also very customer focussed.

Fortunately, no need to look for a garage or dealer to do the replacement. You really need to be capable of such small jobs, when you are driving a R/V.

Regards,

Ralf

Wenn man Morgens statt zur Arbeit direkt an´s Meer fährt, geht´s eigentlich....

Mit Frau und Hund unterwegs im N&B Flair 880 LE ...