Bye bye ARTO Hello Flair

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Bye bye ARTO Hello Flair

Dear All,

Making a choice after several month hesitating between H&B, Concorde and Morelo has been a tough challenge but we finally made it : that will be a Flair 920 LE Black Carbon bought on stock. We were facing a cruel dilemna as having the one of our dreams (whaever the Manufacturer ! ) but next year and one « close to » now but needing some improvments

Even if the RV is already equipped with some options, it was necessary to add some others to match as close as possible our wishes. For two of them I seek advices :

1) Since our Flair is equipped with the Dynamic Pack i.e. 3 AGM 150 Ah and VICTRON charge/converter 12/3000/120, I wish to install 2 solar panels 170 W serial connected. I plan to add a VICTRON MPPT 100/30 I believe suited with the power, the open circtuit voltage and short-circuit amps. I would add a MPTT control. I selected VICTRON because of consistency with actually installed charger/converter, but I would be glad getting advise on this or even on a smarter solution.

2) I plan having IVECO installing a Telma retarder if suitable with the truck frame and gear box of our RV ; there is a fair chance it would be possible therefore I would be glad getting a feedback of such a modification if someone has done this. I guess it not a common modification but I have concern with a 7.5 t vehicle slowing down on conventional brakes drivning down a mountain road. Doing this with my 4.8 t ARTO was a bit stressing because of a poor motor brake.

Kindly,

JB

• Hello JB,

congrats on your excellent choice. The Flair really is a very nice RV. ^^

With both Options I don´t have direct experience. Just some thoughts regarding this:

Firstly I would recommend to go for the Smart-Version of the MTTP Victron. It has a built-in Bluetooth connector and enables you to monitor and manage the device via your Smartphone.

Secondly regarding the retarder keep an eye on the weight limits of the vehicle Depending on the total weight the additional load capacitiy already might be tight and a retarder easily adds another 100 Kg.

Cheers, Thomas
    • JB54 wrote:

2) I plan having IVECO installing a Telma retarder if suitable with the truck frame and gear box of our RV ; there is a fair chance it would be possible therefore I would be glad getting a feedback of such a modification if someone has done this. I guess it not a common modification but I have concern with a 7.5 t vehicle slowing down on conventional brakes drivning down a mountain road. Doing this with my 4.8 t ARTO was a bit stressing because of a poor motor brake.

Kindly,

JB

good evning,

concerning the Telma i would advise to contact Meier in Altdorf. As far as I know he is the only company in germany authorized by Iveco to fit Telma and reprogramm ECU. Will cost you around 9 - 10 k Euros.

Best regards

Elbert

• We have enjoyed nearly 4 years with our Flair, a 920LF, one of the first in 2015. I have found N+B to be one of the most decent companies to deal with, it is when problems occur that the real customer facing companies stand out. We have chosen to move on to a Morelo, but not because of dissatisfaction with our Flair or N+B but because we could take advantage of a specific floor plan which we favoured.
      The Telma retarder is an option I am not sure I would bother with on a light chassis such as the Flair. I loved the Jake brakes we had on the Yankee and look forward to getting them back on the 12 ton MB chassis, but found the ZF box on the Flair more than capable of handling long downhill sections, so the added weight and cost of the Telma would not in my opinion be justified.
      Still waiting for a girl like you to come into my life.
      2019 Morelo Palace Liner 88LB SLO with slide out on MB chassis
      Until then 2015 Flair 920LF
    • Hi All,

Thanks for the advices.
      After reading MPTT controller date sheet, smart option is a good one. Good tip.
      I’m in touch with Maeir, first exhanging data to get a proposal but I noted too the opinion of michaels about Telma. Someone could tell me whether the ZF-8 Auto gearbox (with the necessary adaptation to lorry) is the same or very similar to the one installed on BMW cars ?
    • JB54 wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks for the advices.
      After reading MPTT controller date sheet, smart option is a good one. Good tip.
      I’m in touch with Maeir, first exhanging data to get a proposal but I noted too the opinion of michaels about Telma. Someone could tell me whether the ZF-8 Auto gearbox (with the necessary adaptation to lorry) is the same or very similar to the one installed on BMW cars ?
      Definitely on the BMW X5, and others. In my opinion it is a stunning box and well implemented on the Daily. Tap the brakes on a downhill section and it drops a gear, tap again and if appropriate it will drop another. I struggle to understand the thought process behind the inclusion of a Telma in the option list, although someone without experience of the drive train could be tempted.
      Still waiting for a girl like you to come into my life.
      2019 Morelo Palace Liner 88LB SLO with slide out on MB chassis
      Until then 2015 Flair 920LF
    • aluprof wrote:

JB54 wrote:

Kindly,

JB

good evning,

concerning the Telma i would advise to contact Meier in Altdorf. As far as I know he is the only company in germany authorized by Iveco to fit Telma and reprogramm ECU. Will cost you around 9 - 10 k Euros.

Best regards

Elbert

Good Morning,
      I have had a contact with Meier , I got a price and a schedule. Faisabiliy for my RV was confirmed. Everything looks OK. Thank you for the advice.
      Kind Regards,
      JB
    SuperSense Füllstandssensoren