Alde system sucking in air

• Hi,

we have been with our Nibi Flair i800 in the alps the whole winter. Arrived at 1800 m in january. After 1 day we noticed air in the Alde system, at the evacuation vent located at the right corner of the front window.

After that I have had to empty air from that location on a daily basis. I have tried to block the inlet for the Alde automatic air vent, no result. I have also discussed with Alde in lenght but nowbody understand it.

Any ideas? How can the Alde system suck in air without any loss of liquid? Why is air entering the system more at 1800 m height than at sea level, there is no differnt pressure in an Alde system than outside?

• Hello JAndersB ,

this has nothing to do with the 1800 meter altitude, You will have a leak somewhere in the system.

Adding liquid: Ensure that the vehicle is standing level, and check that the bleeder screws and drain cocks are closed. Release the plastic nut on the circulation pump, located on the expansion vessel, and lift out the pump. Pour the glycol mixture slowly into the expansion vessel, using a watering can. When the system is being filled, air pockets may form, depending on how the pipesystem has been installed. A good indication that there is air in the system is when the heat only travels a few metres along the pipe from the boiler, despite the fact that the circulation pump is operating. To make refilling and bleeding easier, we recommend using the Alde filling pump which quickly both fills and bleeds the system automatically.

enclosed an Alde 3010 description also applies to the 3020 system............. Alde_3010_Service-Eng.pdf

and Filling with a filling and venting pump

Lg. Hermann

• Hi, system is in use full time since september. No air in the system. I know these systems very well and have big experince expanding, change fluid etc.

In january it started sucking in air.. There is no leak, fluid level constant. Long discussions with Alde direct did not help,.

• Hello Anders,

Auf 1800 Metern liegt der Siedepunkt für Wasser bei nur 93,5 ºC.

Wenn wir auch die Wirkung der Saugpumpe im Ausgleichsbehälter hinzufügen, wird der Druck des in die Pumpe eintretenden Kühlmittels noch weiter reduziert.

Dadurch wird der Durchfluss von der Pumpe verringert.

Die verlorene Zirkulationsgeschwindigkeit des Kühlmittels führt dazu, dass heißeres Kühlmittel den Boiler verlässt und in die Pumpe eintritt als andere für die Beheizung des Wohnbereichs erforderliche Gegenstände.

Der niedrige Absolutdruck des heißen Kühlmittels verursacht Kavitation.

Kavitation in der Pumpe kann zu kleinen Luftblasen im Kühlmittel führen, die sich ansammeln und abscheiden und Lufteinschlüsse im System verursachen.

Dies ist meine Theorie, basierend auf Physik und Erfahrung mit dem Alde-System.

At 1800 meter the boiling point for water is only 93,5 ºC.

If we also add the effect of the suction pump in the expansion tank, the pressure of the coolant entering the pump will be reduced even further.

This will reduce the flow from the pump.

The lost circulating speed of the cooland will result in hotter coolant leaving the boiler and entering the pump then othervice neccecary to heat the living area.

The low absolute pressure of the hot coolant will cause cavitation.

Cavitation in the pump can mic in small air bubbles in the coolant that will collect and separate, causing air pockets in the system.

This is my theory, based on physics and experience with the Alde system.

• Hej Michael (igen)!

I have been winter camping with Alde systems at 1800-2000m for many years. Never had any problems with air entering the system. Many, many other Alde based womos around without any problems.

Interesting teory but not valid I think. To have to the bleed the system twice a day at one point 20m away from the pump, with many highpoints to pass on the way, not collecting any air, is a clear indication of something else. I forgot one day and got a total circulation block..

There is a highpoint with went at left sofa back rest (never any air), then pipe goes down under the floor and via engine exchanger up at drivers window, over the dashboard, passing where air is collecting and downwards again via passanger window to under the floor. If I forget to bleed, a little air can go down flow to went at right side sofa back rest. So somewhere on this stretch the air is coming in. And no fluid leaking out!

• We spent almost 3 months at 1500m or more above sea level, with the need for daily bleeding at mentioned point. Now since 6 days at normal level problem is gone. Very strange with a non pressurised system....