Is owning and "Keeping" a motorhome in Germany legally possible for a non-resident?

• There may be some who replied to this topic who might be interested, so I thought I would update the information I have.

After more exploration I find that it is indeed tiring, and complicated to register in Germany as a non-resident. Not only that but also risky in terms of using a "buddy".......as relationships are complex and can change, particularly where some large sums of money are concerned.

I spoke with a German dealer who investigated the possibility of registering my vehicle at his business address if I am buying from him. His response from his local government agency was something like "....it is possible, but we don't like to do it here in this region......"

My final conclusion is that using a simple company structure in France is the most straightforward and 'clean' if you like me are searching for an ownership solution other than in your country of residence. Some of you might be familiar with the french SCI structure which is often used to hold property in France. This can also be adapted (to an SC) to hold, register, and insure a vehicle.

While there are a number of companies in France which advertise this service online, my firm conclusion having taken legal advice is that it is better to use a French Avocat or legal firm to set up your own dedicated structure. It will cost a little more than the "off the shelf" versions. but I think the extra is small in the scale of the overall picture and you can be more sure of it being 'fit for purpose'.

I hope this might be useful.

Happy travels

Timothy

• Immatriculation of what we call "Liner" here, could be very difficult in France (drire...)

I suggest to try Luxembourg or GB. With a company in Lux or in GB there are a lot of Liners. Also for sale with plates and really easy to handle. A lot of Frechies goes there to do so.

• Hi Andreas

thanks for your comment.

GB is not at all straightforward. Having left the EU creates some problems and taxes on imports. Liner owners are finding it quite difficult also to find suitable insurance products in their market, at a reasonable price, as many companies will no longer offer insurance to vehicles over 150K. There is no equivalent company structure as far as I have learned, and most companies will not insure a company owned vehicle, or a non-resident driver.

About Luxemburg I know nothing!

• Company structure and insurances is one thing, the french DRIRE the other wone! The most vehicules called "Liner", you can forget for immatriculation in France. Impossible.

How I know? I was living there for over 20 years.

Try Luxemburg or GB, with company immatriculation.

• Company structure and insurances is one thing, the french DRIRE the other wone! The most vehicules called "Liner", you can forget for immatriculation in France. Impossible.

How I know? I was living there for over 20 years.

Try Luxemburg or GB, with company immatriculation.

Thanks for your reply