Is it possible to negotiate a discount in today's market?

• I have been watching the used liner market on mobile.de for some time.

My subjective impression is that there are some discounts being offered by dealers for used stock, and that quite a number of vehicles have been parked on forecourts for many months.

Do those of you experienced in the German market (which I am not!) consider that it is possible to negotiate prices with dealers at this time? And if so, what level of discount is realistically achievable?

Thanks for your views

Timothy

• That's a good question.

I think yes, I would make one or two attempts. How much the dealer goes down as a percentage is very individual. The dealer who needs space, as many new ones have been ordered, will certainly need more than another dealer who relies on the season. Every dealer certainly has their own experience.

• Hi Timothy,

I am also following the development on the electronic sales portals since a while.

The question if discounts are negotioable might be a question of the type of RV you are looking for. The smaller ones, up to 3,5 tons total allowed weight are still of high interest and therefore, dealership might be less willing to accept lower offers.

But when I look after anything over 7 tons and especially over 7,5 tons, it appears to me that price are showing a tendency to weaken. Some of the relatively new liner models have all of a sudden better price tags, sometimes 20 - 30 k less as originally offered. But we talk now of models at prices still around and over 300 k Euro.

Regards,

Ralf

Wenn man Morgens statt zur Arbeit direkt an´s Meer fährt, geht´s eigentlich....

Mit Frau und Hund unterwegs im N&B Flair 880 LE ...

• I think that you are right about the situation, especially over 7.5 tons...there seems to be more stock and some discounts already advertised.

Thanks for your thoughts