Greetings from Ireland.

• Hello from the grey and rainy south of Ireland..

First, I must say that it feels a little strange to be here posting a message in English on a German speaking forum. I apologise if this is inappropriate, but I speak German not at all.

Of course I can manage to follow a good enough amount of the content of the forum with the help of Google-translate, but of course there is the constant possibility of idiocies and misunderstandings of context on the part of mr google, and myself.

Second I must also say that I am not yet the owner of a liner!

I have put Concorde Charisma in my description as this is the one that I would like to have, but also possibly a Liner, and also it could be

a Morelo. The point is that I am searching for a used vehicle, so I spend a lot of time looking on mobile.de and hopefully I will find a vehicle that suits my idea of what will suit me best.

I have not owned a camping car previously. So it is all new.

In this case also I regret that I will not have any technical knowledge to offer. But I will be happy to offer local knowledge about Ireland if someone has a question about travelling here :-)) .

for those who have already been to Ireland, you will not have seen many large local motorhomes, if any at all. There are many reasons: roads and facilities are limited in many places for

large vehicles; local taxes for importing of vehicles is 13% on top of the full value, and finally, it is extremely difficult to find an insurance product for a leisure vehicle in excess of 3.5 tons

Or a value more than €130k. This being the case, I have been a long time trying to find a solution to this apparent impasse. Because of this challenge, and the delays caused by Covid

I am 3 years older than I had hoped to be when I finally arrive at getting "on the road".!!

(My current solution envisages using a french company structure to own the car,!! complicated

for sure! ) :P

Some personal info:

I am a retired Business owner and Academic.

I live in Southern Ireland.

I am interested in visiting particular, great gardens whether public or private. Cathedrals or great churches, also monasteries, are places that I organise my travels around, as I enjoy the architecture, history and ambience of such places. I read a lot and enjoy visiting places associated with writers. I prefer to remain in Europe for my travels at this point though I have traveled in Asia/India when younger.

I particularly like the French Pyrenees and have also done some trekking there over the years.

For the most part I travel solo, though sometimes share a trip with my 'travel buddy'.

Thank you for this forum!

• Hallo Timothy ,

Great that you fond the way to us

I hope that you found here the right themes

for all quest

Nice to meed you here and welcom

Greatings from my wife Monika and me

From the grey and rainy Germany

all the best

Berthold

Geniest das Leben " Ihr habt nur das Eine, allso macht was draus ";)

• Hello Timothy and welcome to the LinerTreff. Here you can get information and know-how about larger vehicles. For us (come from the caravan) it was a process in which direction it would go. So we informed and searched for a long time. Only through this forum did it become concrete relatively quickly and we decided on a Concorde, actually 2 sizes larger than planned. We have not regretted it for a minute after 2 years. You grow with your tasks. We wish you every success in your search. Here in the forum there is one or the other from UK.

Gruß Karin und Frank

• Hi Tim,

Also from my side a warm welcome to the Linertreff. Don‘t worry about your german language skills writing in English will be just fine. Actually, many of us natives have problems with our language and that‘s ok too.

The pandemic has had impacted all of us but now we can look forward enjoying to plan for the next trips.

Ralf

Glaube nicht alles, was du hörst
    Sage nicht alles, was du willst und
    Tue nicht alles, was du magst
    (M.Luther)

Aus einem verzagten Arsch kommt kein fröhlicher Furz (M.Luther)

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    (A. Lincoln)

• Hello Timothy,

Welcome to our group, which we hope can support you in your plans. Finding a suitable vehicle that is worth the money is a challenge. But hope dies last. My daughter is living in Dublin for a number of years. We visited her with our Charisma and fell in love with Ireland. We got along quite well with the partially narrow streets.

I wish you a good start in our forum and I hope that you will reach your goal.

Best regards.

Axel

• Hello Timothy

welcome here in the LinerTreff forum.

Thank you for your detailed description and introduction.

Ireland is currently not on our list but you never know what the future brings.

Greetings from the Rhineland

Wolfgang

• Hi Tim,

Welcome

Ireland is one destination I've never been but really want to go..Everybody tells me it is beautifull and a lot of fun people.

A suggestion from my side... we were looking to buy a Morelo or Concorde liner.. Then a dealer showed us a Phoenix Alkoven on MAN chassis which we really liked despite the fact we initially were not interested in this kind of vehicule. We bought it on the spot and have been very happy with it since.

• Hey Timothy,

a warm welcome to our international LinerTreff. Yes, here are a lot of native germain speaker but also english speakert/writers. You know, that the User interface can be switched to english?

Irland is one of our favourite countries because my sister is living near Cork.

Martin

• Thank you for your welcome Bertolt :thumbup:

• Hello Timothy and welcome to the LinerTreff. Here you can get information and know-how about larger vehicles. For us (come from the caravan) it was a process in which direction it would go. So we informed and searched for a long time. Only through this forum did it become concrete relatively quickly and we decided on a Concorde, actually 2 sizes larger than planned. We have not regretted it for a minute after 2 years. You grow with your tasks. We wish you every success in your search. Here in the forum there is one or the other from UK.

Greetings Karin and Frank

Thank you Karin & Frank for your reply, and indeed for your encouragement!. which is especially welcome as sometimes I can lose confidence ! and wonder if I am having a crazy moment with this project!! :/

I too am now looking at a car much larger than I first imagined. I have already made two trips to Germany to look at cars (in the south at Schmidtmeir, and also at Engel near Frankfurt) and the result is that I only begin to feel comfortable at the size of Charisma 8.9m plus. Fortunately I have a full C license, though driving a truck "on the wrong side of the road for me" will be a challenge. Anyway, that is a question for later!

• Hi Ralph

thank you for your words and encouragement......and also for the little laugh from your comment about natives having problems with their own language! :-)) this is so true...and not only in Germany!

• Thank you Axel, and happy that you have a nice connection with Ireland.

• Thanks Wolfgang. Unless the seas rise faster than we think, Ireland will still be here if you decide later! ;)

• Thank you for the welcome and feedback. I could also have included Phoenix in my list of possibilities. I'm open to this model as well of course. Apologies but I could not see your name!

• Hi Martin

and thank you for the welcome and feedback. I am using google chrome with translate function which seems to work quite well most of the time. My first impressions are that this works a little better than the english interface on the site does, but I will explore further.

When your sister lives near Cork, then she will be familiar with my grey skies!...and today with the beginnings of an Atlantic weather system!

Best regards

• Hello Timothy,

first of all a very warm welcome to the LinerTreff. :welcome:

Looking for the next RV is always a challenge but also inspiring and fun. Herr in our little community you find a lot of expertise about anything around the technology and the handling and travelling with these vehicles. But be cautious! It‘s also dangerous as you get to know about a lot of features which are nice to have in the RV but empty your budget as well.

So have fun here and enjoy your time with us.

Cheers, Thomas