Greetings from Ireland.

• Hello Rick!

Thank you for your warm welcome, and also for your very nice feedback.......one does the best one can to make our life environment pleasant, including online :-))

Thanks also for your offer of support...I can imagine that at some point in this process I will be grateful to lean on whatever support I can find. It looks to me that my best buying options will certainly be in Germany, and this will pose some extra challenges from the point of view of language and my lack of familiarity with contract conditions etc locally. In some ways this makes looking at dealers more attractive, even if the possibility of a better price could be with a private sale.....

About Harleys :P , I could never call myself a "Biker", though I did own a nice Sportster 1200 and a Moto Guzzi California back in the day. Amateur level riding to be sure! I did go recently for a test drive on a beautiful Harley Heritage Classic, M8. I had the intention to buy a last Harley! But wow! the power. I found that my body, my reaction time and frankly, my nerves were not the same as the last time I rode which was nearly 20 years ago!!...so I handed back the bike with a regret and an acceptance that perhaps it is time for a scooter! or even an ebike instead :D ;( Riding a Harley on a good day is to be envied only now I fear.

Best wishes & thanks again

Timothy

• Hello Jurgen

thank you for your welcome and thoughts!

You are correct in bringing attention to the regulations about driving a 'foreign' registered car in the home country. In my case, it is absolutely forbidden for me to drive a foreign registered car in Ireland except in very limited and defined circumstances. The consequence is that when I will form a French company to purchase/hold the car, I will need to register, insure and keep the car in France, except when in use, and not use it at all in Ireland. The technic exam also to be done also in France.

Unfortunately, I don't think that there is a structure available in Germany to a non-resident to do this. If there is it would be much more convenient for me as it is most probable that I will find a car in Germany, and then I will have the additional palaver of importing it to France... If you have some information about such a possibility in Germany I would be happy to hear it, though I failed to find it in my research online & asking one large dealer about it.

Your idea of renting a liner of course makes sense & I have looked at this possibility. In the meantime I keep my truck license up to date with additional required training for my commercial permit, and will drive some trucks a few hours only for the business of a friend occasionally, just to keep myself 'in form'.

Warm regards

Timothy

• Hello, Timothy.

Thank you very much.

This is a well-known sight beyond our borders here in the Saarland. The river "Saar"

makes a grandiose and natural bend here.

Rüdiger

Getreu diesem Motto:

"Ich war noch nicht überall, aber es steht auf meiner Liste". (Susan Sontag)

• Thanks for this information...I will put it on my "Wish-to -see" list!

• Fantom

Hat das Thema geschlossen.